Saturday 23 March 2013

We'll carry on

When I was eleven, I used to go to my friend's house every morning before school, and whilst I was waiting for her to get ready I'd watch a TV channel called The Hits [now 4music]. One day they played a new song called Famous Last Words, and it changed my life.

This morning I woke up to a text telling me that the first band I ever loved have broken up.


My Chemical Romance were the first band that I ever saw live, on November 11th 2007. At the time I'd never loved anything as much as I did them, I'd never been passionate about anything. They helped me to grow up. They taught me about music, love, loss, happiness and despair. They taught me to never give up, and to never live my life by someone else's principles. They taught me to be extraordinary.

My Chemical Romance made me the person who I am today. Without them I would never have learned to love music. I wouldn't listen to any of the bands I do now. Not A Day To Remember. Not Of Mice & Men. Not While She Sleeps. I wouldn't have met any of the wonderful friends I have now due to music. I might have not even still been around to type this. Although it's been a while since I've listened to them as my tastes have developed to genres somewhat heavier, I will be forever grateful to this band for teaching me that life is beautiful if you know where to look, and that it is always worth it.

Yes, it is a shame that they've broken up, in fact, it's almost heartbreaking, but I believe they'll become something iconic and legendary within a few decades and I can't wait to tell my kids how I was there through it all, their rise and fall. Their music will live on forever with the fans and through the people they've inspired and influenced, and in twenty years time Primark will sell their shirt to hipster wannabe preteens who've never heard of them.

Thank you for everything, so long and goodnight boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment